Tuesday, April 28, 2015

SMH and PTL

An Inkling
Matt is a young man I know in Texas who is a cross-country trucker.  He often posts pictures from his truck cab of traffic jams or icy roads with the simple descriptor:  “smh.”  I had to look it up, and I learned that it means “shaking my head.”  Now that’s a useful abbreviation – and for more than just traffic conditions.
I am smh as the Supreme Court hears arguments today about same sex marriage.  Soon they will rule on whether our nation will be united in the legal fantasy that it’s up to us to define marriage, or whether the states will be able to continue these debates on their own.
On the face of it, a single standard seems a good thing.  But unity in the pursuit of fantasy cannot end well.  And so I am smh.  And praying.
I would be more than smh if I didn’t know that the Supreme Court is in fact not supreme in defining how life works.  I’d be slal (my new abbreviation for shaking like a leaf – ha!) if a 5-4 decision could actually rearrange the way God designed the world to work.  But there is great peace in knowing that the Creator’s good gift of marriage is subject finally only to the Creator.
And even better than that simple peace is the joy of knowing that the One presiding at THE Supreme Court is also the One who laid down his life for us, and for all of the ways that we presume to improve on what he created.  That great good news leads to joining smh with another, older abbreviation, ptl (Praise the Lord)!
With both abbreviations, let’s be praying for our Supreme Court and our nation.
Blessings,

Keith