Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Singing and Making Melody

An Inkling
Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts. So writes Paul to the Ephesians. I do this, both singing and listening to others more able do the same. My musical palate has a taste for such Christian music, along with rock and roll and classical music. In bits and pieces I hear a lot of music.
Usually. But during Lent I gave up music. Most years I’ve given up some addiction during Lent, like sweets or chocolate. But this year I gave up music, all but during worship services.
So during Lent I heard more podcasts than usual, and I also lived with a lot more silence. Both were good. But I really did miss the music.
On Easter morning, as I drove to church, I realized my music fast was over, and I punched on the radio. The station was playing Janis Joplin’s Me and Bobby McGee, not the greatest song ever, but I was certainly thirsty for music, and it was a delight. Since then I’ve listened to some U2 and some worship music – all with great pleasure.
What is it about music? It’s a gift from the One who created the world – and it must be because he is musical. And so we, created in his image, are musical too. It’s a powerful part of our lives, and thus one that both needs and benefits from our redemption in Christ. Music reaches into our depths, and shapes our behavior and attitudes. That’s big. And with the other pleasures of life, brought under the Lordship of Jesus, it’s life-giving.
So if you see me bopping along in this Easter Season, that’s why.
How about you?  What does music mean to you, and to your life with the Lord?
Blessings,

Keith