Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A New Name Yet to Come


An Inkling
Late in life I received a new name: “Pop.”  It’s my grandfather name.
Few things in life are better than hearing one’s name spoken by someone who loves you, and is thrilled to see you.  I learned this years ago being called “Daddy” by three little girls.  Sometimes they spoke that name in need, or even in panic, and that had its own pleasure of purpose.  But it sounded even better on their lips when I was coming home after being gone, and my name became their cry of delight.  It’s funny how a simple identifier can thrill the heart when spoken by the right person.
I’ve had a happy echo of that experience with my grandfather name.  I had a meeting in North Carolina on Monday.  Since Brandon and Dorothy were near – most importantly with our grandchildren, Caroline and Keith – I drove down Sunday night to grab a bit of time with them.  And when little Caroline saw me, she squealed, “Pop!”  Squeals aren’t the kind of sounds I usually seek.  But when it’s your name, and from a little girl who is thrilled to see you – wow!
One of Revelation’s mysterious promises is that in the Kingdom we’ll be given a new name.  Hmmm.  This late in life name has been fun, especially on the lips of the little ones who speak it with delight.  So how about a name to be given when life is full, and spoken by the One who is absolutely thrilled to see us?!  Yet one more thing to look forward to!
Blessings,

Keith