Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Singing on Pitch

An Inkling
Over the years I’ve sung in choirs from time to time.  When I do, I try to sit next to someone in the bass section who is good at staying on pitch.  Even with my eyes on the music, my voice wanders at points, and it’s wonderfully helpful to have someone who is pitch perfect nearby to pull me back on.
Have you noticed that in the Christian chorus there is only One who is pitch perfect?  Even with the biblical score right under our noses, and even with practice and diligent effort, we all wander off pitch at points.  So we need to make sure we’re seated right next to the Savior whose pitch is unfailingly perfect.
I was led to these ponderings this week by the visit of the Pope to our shores.  He’ll be singing the faith on the grandest of American stages.  And he’s good – really good.  I love the ways this Pope sings the faith.
Even so, only the Savior is pitch perfect.  So all of us who love the Savior, and who have been graciously pulled back on tone ourselves, can pray for the Pope as he boldly sings the faith on those big stages.  May he find himself at every moment seated right next to that One with perfect pitch!
And I for one am sure that that will be in the bass section!  Ha!
God bless Pope Francis,

Keith