Tuesday, September 8, 2015

An A Message

An Inkling
Sarah and I kept hearing good things about the new movie War Room, so we went to see it, and are glad we did.  I don’t see many movies, and I am certainly not cinema-astute enough to write a legit review.  But here are a few thoughts about it…
  • I was surprised by the previews.  Most of the movies I see are uplifting and thoughtful, but follow previews that are degrading and mindless.  Not so with War Room.  Its previews were obviously selected to appeal to the War Room audience, featuring coming attractions with positive and/or Christian values.  And there are a lot coming soon to a theater near you!  Obviously Hollywood has discovered a new paying audience, and gratefully more and more Christians are taking up the cinematic arts.
  • War Room is a B movie with an A message.  Here I venture a review with my limited understanding:  the acting and cinematography were good, but not good enough entirely to overcome a predictable and at times cheesy plot.  Don’t expect an Oscar.  Even so, I’ve seen worse Christian movies, and over-all the genre is clearly improving.  It was plenty good enough to move me to tears at points.
  • Seeing this movie felt like going to a black church.  We were among just a handful of Anglos in a theater full of African-Americans, who brought their worship habits with them – i.e., the theater regularly sounded with  “Amen,” “Uh huh,” and “That’s right” – even without a preacher!  That certainly added to the joy of the movie, and made it a communal rather than a private experience.
  • And finally, I was deeply moved by the message.  Without spoiling the plot for you, I can say that War Room filled me with a renewed zeal for prayer, and that’s a blessing by whatever means it comes.

So now my voice is joined with others saying, “You gotta see War Room.”  And may God bless all those who seek to bring the good news by all means possible.
Blessings,

Keith