Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Vantage on the Journey

An Inkling
One of my prayer disciplines is to journal about what the Lord is teaching me, what I’m facing, what I’m praying, etc.  I’ve been doing this for over 30 years.  And for the last few years I’ve gone back in a new year and read through my journals from previous decades.  So far I’ve read 1984, and now I’m reading 1994, with 2004 yet to come.
Many have offered aphorisms to describe the long journey with Christ.  Reading these old journals, here’s how I would put it:  I thank God that I’m not where I was.  I thank God that I’m not where I will be.  And I thank God for where he has me right now.
I thank God that I’m not where I was.   By God’s grace, I’ve actually moved past some things – some habits, fears, and perceptions that hobbled me in serving him and knowing his joy.  So looking back has been encouraging.
I thank God that I’m not where I will be.  Progress in the journey is not the same as having arrived.  The Lord has plenty of habits, fears, and perceptions that he still intends to reform in me.  So looking forward brings hope.
And I thank God for where he has me right now.  Some day I will “fast forward” to the destination.  But for now the journey is slow.  Even so, the Company is good.  And if He’s okay being with me at this point, I can be too. 
How about you?  Take a gander at where you’ve been.  Catch a glimpse of where He’s taking you.  And know that where you are right now is no accident.  Then rejoice!
And move on!

Keith