Monday, June 13, 2011

The Maker of Great Moments


An Inkling
The greatest moments of my life have taken place in worship.  A lot of honorable mentions occurred in other contexts:  family vacation at the lake; graduations; the fellowship of small groups.  But far and away the best moments are eight which took place in worship:  when I exchanged mar­riage vows with my dear Sarah, the baptisms  and weddings of our three daughters, and recently the baptism of our grandson, Hilton.
I both anticipated and enjoyed each of those moments great­ly.  Oddly enough, the moments have not faded into nostalgia.  Rather, with the passage of time, their meaning has grown.  For it is only with time that the meaning of a mar­riage or a baptism comes to full flower.  And the buds are still opening.
Over the years framed reminders of those great moments appeared in our family room – a wedding, followed by baptisms, followed by weddings, and now again baptisms.  Cherished pictures of vacations and graduations may prompt nostalgia, but reminders of weddings and baptisms are the ones that prompt awe:  "See what God has done!"
My appreciation of those moments is dependent in part upon a moment I can't remember myself.  But I've been told.  And I've seen a picture of a fat cheeked baby boy on his way to the First Presbyterian Church of Baird, Texas, for his own baptism.  Even before my memory took hold, God was reaching out to me in love.  So, too, the bud that sprang forth that day is still coming to full flower.
Many are the memories of human making.  But the greatest moments of life are the work of God.  And he's still working.
With you!
Keith