Tuesday, June 7, 2011

God's Birthday Gifts


An Inkling
Today I’m completing year 56.  Here are my random observations as I try to gather enough breath to blow out a forest of candles…
Fifty-six sounds old to me.  I don’t feel that old.  I also don’t feel mature enough to be that old.  I would have thought that by now I would be bearing the fruit of the Spirit more abundantly, and that I would struggle less with the works of the flesh (see Galatians 5:19-23).  So I’m most grateful that the Lord’s mercies are new every morning – even after a bunch of mornings!
On the other hand, I do feel that old – at least physically.  For the first time in my life I get winded by climbing stairs fast.  And with a changing metabolism I am also discovering what my heavy friends meant by not being able to lose weight.  I’ve always thought that they just didn’t try hard enough.  I’m starting to understand.  So the fantasies of forever young are fading – another of God’s gifts, since fantasies don’t serve well for long.
As those fantasies fade I’m also all the more amazed at God’s persistence with me.  Even after decades of mixed results working with me, he has not diminished his expectations.  He still intends to reshape me to be more like Jesus.  And that’s no fantasy (see Ephesians 4:13-15).  What a gift! 
Such growth, while tailored to who I am, is not private.  It comes only in partnership with others whom the Lord is forming.  I count you, my partners in Christ, as the best of God’s many birthday gifts.  Thanks for being you.
Blessings,
Keith