Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Pomposity Punctured

An Inkling
The Lord is never without a means of puncturing our pomposity.  Pomposity comes easily when wearing a black robe and playing a central role in a couple’s life defining moment.  I was garbed in such a robe when I conducted a wedding on Memorial Day on a dock at a beautiful lakeside venue.
The ceremony was due to start at 3:00 PM, but the couple, both Ensigns in the Navy, realized that 3:00 PM was the time when people across the nation, whether at ball games or barbecues, would pause for a moment of silence to remember what Memorial Day is really about.  So our plan was for me to have the people stand at the hour, before the wedding party entered, and observe that moment of silence. Then we would proceed with the ceremony.
So at the stroke of three I walked toward the front, and almost tripped on a step there on the dock.  That was the Lord’s first poke at my pomposity.  
Then came his second.  Just as I was having the people stand for the moment of silence, a fishing boat about 100 yards up the shore, started blaring Bruce Springsteen’s Born in the USA.  You know how sound carries over the water.  We heard it as loud as they played it.  We could have done worse – at least the song's chorus sounds patriotic.  But it was hardly a solemn moment.  And actually what was intended to be a moment became five moments, because there was no way to proceed with the wedding until Bruce was done singing.  
With my pomposity poked, and with the Lord still laughing, I then did my little part for the One who actually joined the couple in marriage.
Whether you ever wear a black robe or not, I bet you have discovered what I have: the Lord is never without a means to puncture our pomposity!
Blessings,

Keith