Monday, March 3, 2014

What's In a Name?

An Inkling
Back in the days of swelling bellies and approaching due dates, Sarah and I would have long conversations about names.  We never could agree on boys’ names, other than that we would not have a Keith Jr., with the inevitable modifiers Big and Little.
As it turned out, we didn’t need to agree on boys' names.  We were privileged to launch three daughters into this world, all of whom have family names.
So I never imagined there would ever be another Keith in the family.  But since Friday there is.  Davis Keith Hood was born to Dorothy and Brandon, and they plan to call him Keith.
His name was almost a foregone conclusion – his dad, paternal grandfather, and maternal grandfather (me) all have Keith as a middle name.  The boy was going to be tagged Keith one way or the other.
I still don’t know what I think of this, but it is great fun.  And I did notice that he has bigger muscles than any other newborn I’ve ever seen.  I know of no other explanation than the name.
Since some of my more questionable traits were planted by my maternal grandfather (see my Feb. 10 blog), I have to hope that this grandfather won’t have too bad an effect on his namesake grandson.  Rather, if new Keith can see even a glimmer of God’s grace in old Keith, I’ll be satisfied.  That and maybe a bit of mischief for good measure…
Welcome New Keith!

Old Keith