Monday, February 10, 2014

The Joy of Grandfathering

An Inkling
We called him Pop.  He was my maternal grandfather.  We’d see him a couple of times a year when we made our family pilgrimage to San Angelo, Texas.  Hoping that I would follow in his golfing footsteps, Pop gave me a set of used golf clubs when I was thirteen.  I tried my hand at it, but I never really took to his golfing passion.
I did, however, take to his perverse sense of humor, which was always on display at the family table.  There I took careful mental notes as he fired off one bad pun after another.  My tendencies to the same vice have deep family roots. 
I also remember the great anticipation with which my brother and I awaited the crowning event of every meal.  After dessert, as sure as clockwork, Pop would belch, and my grandmother would say, “Oh George!”  And he would respond, “Sign of a fine meal.”  My brother and I would just about bust a gut trying to stifle giggles, which was made all the harder by the nonplussed look on our mother’s face – she who was trying valiantly to corral similar tendencies in her sons.
Many were the gifts provided by my parents, but they were different than those provided by Pop.  For that matter, the gifts Pop gave his own children were different from those he gave us.  Parents have to tend to business.  Someone has to teach the little devils manners, cleanliness, discipline, and priorities.  And since parents major in such business matters, then grandparents get to major in delight.  Grandparents delight in their grandchildren, which adds a delightful element to their times together.
Our emotional and intuitive starting place with God is greatly shaped by our parents, for good and for ill.  The “ill” part of that is greatly ameliorated by grandparents, who lend parents a much needed hand in planting God’s kind of delight deep in the hearts of children.
We now have four grandchildren, with two more on the way.  They call me Pop.  And I’m trying to live up to my name.
Mamas beware,

Pop