Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Time for a Happy Dance

An Inkling
I finally crossed it off my list.  High on my prayer list for six years has been the request that my parents would find the time right to move from Texas to Virginia, where they could live near the rest of the family.  And now they have!  We moved them into their new home yesterday.  It still looks more like the staging area for an invasion than a home, but we’re getting there.
Part of my morning prayer ritual is to make my way through my prayer list, addressing the Lord about this and that need.  I probably make it through my list about two thirds of the mornings.  So in six plus years that’s about 1500 prayers.  That seems like a lot.  But then I also have some prayers still pending answers that I’ve pursued for nearly forty years.  I don’t even want to do the math on those!
As I think back on the course of these prayers, I recall that some days I’ve been quite bold, quoting the “you do not have because you do not ask” verse, and laying claim to all the prayer promises as I’ve tried to prompt the Lord to move it along.  But then other days I’ve been in the mode of the “they that wait upon the Lord” verse, trusting God with the when and how of it all, and looking for where he’s at work in the meantime.
Have you ever had that kind of back and forth in a long-term prayer pursuit?  In a way it seems schizophrenic.  But I heard someone offer a better image:  think of it as a dance.  The back and forth motion of prayer is led by a Dance Partner who knows exactly what he is doing.  And we can trust that each of the motions is part of the larger dance of which he’s made us a part.
And then, of course, when the answer comes, it’s time for the happy dance!  May your Christmas be just as full of happy dances as ours this year!
Blessings,

Keith