Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Jesus is Lord - Specifically!


An Inkling
It’s our most basic affirmation of faith:  Jesus is Lord.  If you’re a Christian, you’ve said it in some fashion.
Here’s what’s usually in our heads when we say it:  Jesus is Lord of all the world, he will guide how the big story works out, and I want to serve him as he does.
Here’s what’s NOT usually in our heads when we say it:  Jesus is Lord of this chaotic mess that I’m in right now, he will guide how this specific story works out, and I want to serve him as he does.
It’s ironic.  We assume the Lord has the big picture covered.  And yet we operate as if he’s unaware of and uninvolved in the specifics of our everyday lives – and particularly when the chaos factor rises – be it health, work, family, finance (choose one or more!).  We’re so busy trying to gain some lordship over the chaos ourselves that we lose sight of who is in fact Lord.
And so I’ve started consciously stating my belief in his Lordship in specific and chaotic situations.  For example, “Jesus is Lord of this emergency room trip.”  “Jesus is Lord of this financial mess.”  “Jesus is Lord of…”  And he is!
Which means I can go back to my role – serving him as he carries out his role.  I can trust that he will get it right.  What a relief!
Jesus is Lord – specifically!
Blessings,
Keith