Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Latest and the Timeless


An Inkling
Have you heard the latest?  Probably not.  Because the flow of information and news is so fast now that the latest has a shelf life of about ten minutes.
It is well to be informed.  But even if we could keep up with the latest, what would we have?  Not much.  The vast majority of it is rightly forgotten in a few minutes.  Marketers of the latest have successfully led us to expect that we simply must know what’s happening everywhere, and that we must know it now.  Really?
And maybe you’re smart enough to bring that off.  But given my own very limited brain power and time resources, I have decided that I won’t even try to keep up with the latest, but will avail myself of news summaries every day or two.  And as I wean off, maybe I’ll be able to move to every week or two.  That will be somewhere closer to the neighborhood of sanity.
Then to give a bit of perspective on the latest, I’m going to give more time and brain power to the timeless, and particularly to the words of Jesus:
  • Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
  • Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
  • Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
  • I am the vine, you are the branches.  Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.

Somehow those seem more worthy of thought than the latest tweets on who wore what to the Academy Awards, or the latest polls on who is winning the sequester debate.  Who is better informed – the one who knows the latest or the one who ponders the timeless?
Blessings,
Keith