Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Sound of the Wind


An Inkling
I was so disappointed in my ordination – not in God’s call to me, or in the Spirit’s empowering to pursue that call, but in the institutional expression thereof.  My 1981 ordination service was led by three ministers and three elders from the Louisiana presbytery where I first pastored.  They were earnest in their task, but the sermon was pro forma, and the prayers were so droning and dry that I felt less equipped to pastor after the service than I had before!  Nonetheless, that service ordained me in the eyes of the church, and opened an institutional path that would facilitate ministry in years to come.
My disappointment in the service arose largely because it suffered so by contrast with a moment that had no ecclesial authority, but which overflowed with the Spirit’s presence.  The prayer group that had sustained Sarah and me spiritually through our seminary years, and had prayed with us for months as we sought a pastoral call, gathered with us in our apartment to celebrate with us and pray for us one last time before we moved to Louisiana.  It was nothing official in the eyes of the church, but the Spirit showed up in power right there in our living room as they prayed and prophesied over us. 
In the providence of God, both moments served to equip me to pastor.  But it was the informal prayer meeting that was marked by the Spirit’s power.
I was reminded of that blessed Spirit moment Monday evening, at the end of Art Thomas’ final lecture.  A son of our church and a church historian, he was here for the crowning weekend of our 75th Anniversary celebration.  Art delivered wonder-filled accounts of how the Spirit brought renewal to and through St. Giles through the years. 
We were also blessed to have Louis Skidmore with us for these lectures.  “Skid” was a key pastoral player in the Spirit’s powerful work in the ‘70s and ‘80s.  At the end of his lecture about the Spirit’s renewing work during Skid’s season here, Art reported that the Lord had directed him to ask Skid forward for prayer.  Art, Sarah Marsh, my Sarah, and I then prayed with thanksgiving for Skid’s ministry and its legacy.  Then Skid prayed for God’s renewed anointing for us, that we might minister in the Spirit’s full power, and be part of the new things God would do in and through St. Giles.
And it happened again:  the Spirit came in power, and prayer became prophetic.  There was nothing formal or official about it – just some moments of prayer at the end of a lecture.  But it was very real, Art having done what the Spirit prompted him to do. 
And I believe I just heard the wind again, blowing not just upon the pastors, but through the midst of the congregation.  Ready or not…
Here we go!
Keith