Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Belly (and Heart) Full




An Inkling
Why do you eat as you do?  When?  What?  How?  With whom?  We all have our reasons.  
I’ve not thought much about my reasons, at least not beyond the dietary revisions made necessary by a slowing middle-aged metabolism.  And that was driven by health (and vanity!) concerns, not reflections arising from my faith.
But recently I saw an article in the Biola University (a Christian university in L.A.) magazine about eating Christianly, and it got me to thinking.  Why would I not want scriptural values to shape such a significant area of life?  When I think of all the time and energy I spend on getting food in hand and then mouth, why would I want to be shaped only by commercial interests and casual customs, and not by scriptural values?  And yet that’s how it has been for me.
Till now.  This article got me to thinking about how redeemed eating habits might look.  Here I’ve quoted some of its high points:
Slow down. Try to find time to truly enjoy food. Prepare it yourself. Savor it.
Give thanks. For the food you have, for the hands that prepared it, for the land and animals it comes from; above all, for God the provider and sustainer of life.
Show hospitality. Invite others to dine with you. Follow Jesus’ example. Share food with strangers. Throw long dinner parties.
Eat in community. Enjoy food with others. Let it be a unifying source of social pleasure.
Be sensitive to those around you. Many people struggle with food-related issues (dieting, food addiction, eating disorders); keep this in mind as you eat.
Eat justly. Recognize that your eating affects others. Try to support ethical and just food practices through discerning consumer choices.
Fight global hunger. Remember that nearly 1 billion people in the world do not have enough to eat… do what you can to feed the hungry in your communities and across the world.
Develop taste. Expose yourself to new things and expand your palate. Learn to appreciate quality food, unique flavors, textures, combinations.
Eat humbly. Rather than eating food to show off your culinary sophistication, eat with humility and thanksgiving, awestruck by the beauty and goodness you are privileged to enjoy.
Obviously there’s more to be said about such things.  But now I’m thinking.  And I hope that the meals over which I pray will become in themselves something more akin to the words of the prayer.
Amen – Dig In!
Keith