Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Thumbs Up


An Inkling
It’s the time of year when I hear repeated reports about those grand moments that we call “recitals.”  I’m between recital seasons – between the a jillion dance and piano recitals of three daughters, and the recitals yet to come with grandchildren.  But I well remember the drama of “The Recital.”
There we see children as a mixture of ham and self-consciousness, concentration and distraction.  The adults are a mixture too, of sweaty palms and relieved sighs, as they sport the same mix of beaming smiles and furrowed brows as their children.
The customs of such recitals are well known:  as video cameras whir and flashes blaze, girls in fine dresses and boys with combed hair dance, sing, or play their more or less memorized pieces.  Then they conclude with obvious relief, and curtsey or bow as everyone claps wildly.
I guess it’s possible that some of the parents wish all of the children ill except for their own little Johnny.  But I think it unlikely.  At the recitals I’ve attended I sensed a common pulling for all of the children, a hope that each child would remember his or her pieces and do it up proud.  I remember once when a little girl got stuck on her first piano piece, and with tears streaming finally gave up.  You could sense knots in every adult stomach in the room.  But then she proceeded to play her second piece quite well, and was hailed with thunderous applause!
I wonder if God’s palms sweat as he watches us trying to do our best.  Does his brow furrow or his stomach churn as he hopes for us?  I think not.  Surely his love is not so closely knit with anxiety as is ours.  But I know he’s pulling for us.  And I feel certain that despite our frequent mis-steps and sour notes, he beams with joy at our performance.  Such is his grace.
Be sure to look to your proud Father.  He’s trying to catch your eye to give you a wink and a thumbs-up.  Therein is the greatest joy of the recital.
Bravo,
Keith