Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Connections


An Inkling
One of the blessings of being a pastor is that I get a couple of weeks each year for study leave.  It’s the church’s way of trying to keep the pastor’s blade sharpened.  In the last two weeks I split a week of that leave in two very different places, but in both I found community. 
Two weeks ago I spent three days at St. Anselm’s Abbey in Washington.  It’s a Benedictine house, and as part of their mission they receive guests.  So I stayed in one of their guest rooms, and joined them for their mid-day prayers and meals.  (The picture is of some monks beginning to gather for mid-day prayer.) 
One of my goals was to study John, through which I’m preaching this year.  The quiet of the Abbey made for some wonderful study time.
But I also got to learn about community simply through observation.  I wasn’t there long enough to become a part of their community in any meaningful way.  But I could see many facets of their community life as they gathered for prayer four times a day, gathered for meals, etc.  Father Christopher, the guest-master who greeted me, has been at St. Anselm’s for 52 years – almost his entire adult life.  The other brothers have similar stories.  Theirs is a community of stability and structure, with Jesus at the center.
The next week I was in Louisville for three days for the annual gathering of my “covenant group.”  This is a group of about 25 Presbyterian pastors, who have adopted a discipline of mutual support, accountability, and encouragement.  Within the 25 I have been part of a smaller circle of five, with whom we checked in at length. 
There was all the usual foolishness that comes with 25 guys getting together anywhere.  For example, since we were in Kentucky, we took an afternoon to tour a bourbon distillery.  Such foolishness has its own value for community life. 
But in addition to the foolishness, there was also a deep sharing.  Just to hear the stories of what God has been doing in these brothers’ lives was deeply moving – especially since we’ve prayed each other through some of the challenging passages of the last year in our monthly calls.  The stories were both painful and joyful, and they were all deeply instructive in God’s goodness.  In contrast to St. Anselm’s, this is a community that is free flowing and scattered, but again, with Jesus at the center.
Where is your community?  It can have many shapes.  But if Jesus is central, it will be life giving.  Where might you find one?  Or start one?!
Blessings,
Keith