Tuesday, January 3, 2012

God's Actionable Goals


An Inkling
On the inside cover of my prayer journal I write my goals for the year.  Then I look at them periodically through the year, and think about what I’m doing (or not!) to accomplish those goals.  So far I’m still pondering on goals for 2012. 
The common wisdom about goals is that they should be “actionable” – i.e., stated specifically enough that you can act on them and measure the results.  That makes sense.  Vague goals don’t provide much guidance for the daily decisions that apportion limited time and energy.
But this year I’m leaning away from actionable, and more toward “be-able.”  When I look back at the end of 2012 to see what was most important, I’m confident that it won’t be check marks next to actionable goals.  I certainly have some things that I need to do, and I intend to pursue them.
But if I read the scripture rightly, they are second tier.  Jesus was very clear:  the most important thing that any of us can do in 2012 is to love the Lord, and to love those he has given us in our daily interactions (Mark 12:28f).  Such love proceeds from being – the state of the heart.
How would that look in 2012?  What resources enable growth in such love?  I think the actionable steps aren’t love itself, but they do posture me for what God would do to grow me in love – things like worship, prayer, study of the scripture, service, etc.  The Lord finds such things “actionable,” and the change he brings shows in the heart.
I think my 2012 goals are beginning to shape up.  How about yours?
Happy New Year!
Keith