Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How One Preacher Does It


An Inkling
Sometimes people ask how I write sermons and how long it takes.  There are some pretty good sermons available on the internet with a few clicks.  But over time the Lord has guided me into the following pattern.
Preparation for no sermon in particular:  Whenever I read whatever, my mind is asking, “might I someday use this in a sermon?”  So I tag interesting stories in Time or Christianity Today, or the book I’m reading.  Then I enter these tags with a title and page number in an excel file, so that I can search by theme or scripture passage.  My illustration file is now up over 6000 entries.  Most of my sermons use one or more of these entries, be they from ten years ago or ten days ago.  That’s part of what makes it hard to figure exactly how long a sermon takes.
Preparation for a season of sermons:  Mostly I preach series of sermons, lasting anywhere from several weeks to a whole year.  This summer we’ve focused on Exodus, and this fall we’ll center on the opening chapters of Revelation.  Next year we’ll spend the whole year in the gospel of John.  And then there are special days, such as the tenth anniversary of 9-11, which falls on Sunday, for which we’ll focus on Psalm 90.  We also give attention to the emphases of the church year – Advent, Lent, Easter, and Pentecost.
Preparation for a particular sermon:  I begin studying the particular scripture passage a week and a half out, in order to prepare the Marinate guide for small groups and individual study.  More study comes during the week of the sermon, including commentaries, theological works, and possible illustrations.  Sometimes old sermons on the same passage, though typically not helpful in the particulars, will have a story or image that is useful.  Next I brainstorm on paper until an overall idea becomes apparent.  Then I write a detailed outline and put it on my iPad to use in the pulpit.  On Saturday and early Sunday I read through it multiple times.  I can’t really memorize it, but by worship time I have a general idea of where it’s going, and then use my notes as needed.
That description is as long winded as a sermon!  Sorry.  But that’s how it works, except for one more piece, which you supply.  God’s Word has its effect as it is heard.  And it is best heard (either through me or in spite of me) as we prepare through praise, confession, and so on during the first part of the service.  I’ve preached in lots of churches, and I can tell you that you saints of St. Giles do your part marvelously well.  Your eagerness to hear from God covers a whole multitude of preaching sins!  Thanks for the partnership.
Blessings,
Keith