Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reporting From Japan


An Inkling
How was the trip?  The short answer is, “very good.”  Sarah and I had never been to the Far East, and so when our daughter, Dorothy, and her new husband, Brandon, landed there courtesy of his Navy Chaplain duties, we decided to make the big journey. 
It has been a wealth of new sights.  As I write this on my way home, I’m still processing it all.  Here is some of what I observed (along with a few pictures):


It was fun to see Dorothy and Brandon’s new life together.  Family traits and values show, but they show differently in a new setting and season.  The greatest joy of the trip by far was seeing how they are serving the Lord in such a different place.





We visited lots of Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples.  I was fascinated by the various facets of these faiths, as adherents seek to make sense of life and its limits.  I prayed for those we saw burning incense and bowing to various idols, that they might come to know the One who sent his Son for us.







At one of the shrines we saw a hillside of baby Buddhas.  We were told that they place such images to remember lost babies, some of which are by miscarriage, and most of which are by abortion.  It was one of the saddest sights I’ve ever seen.  Abortion is a scourge in their land, as in our own.  May all such heartsick moms meet the One who alone can heal the heart.  And may both their land and ours be delivered of this scourge.



We saw lots of young Japanese people wearing shirts and jeans with English phrases emblazoned on them.  Most of them were either misspelled or entirely nonsensical.  Apparently English is fashionable in appearance, and the sense of it is irrelevant.  I didn’t know what to make of that.  I’m eager to be back where English at least makes some sense!




And I’m eager to be back with the St. Giles family!  You’re the biggest part of why “there’s no place like home.”
Homeward bound,
Keith