Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blue Devils Bedevil


An Inkling
I was disgusted when I saw the headline – “Blue Devils Beat Butler.”  I had hoped Butler’s David would slay Duke’s Goliath, but such was not to be.  Apparently I was not alone in that sentiment, and not just because Butler was the underdog.  Leading up to the big game several sports commentators described Duke as the team people love to hate.  Why?  I’m not sure.  I knew I didn’t like them, but I didn’t know I had so much company.
All of which has gotten me to thinking about my sports passions.  I hate to admit it, but the Blue Devils have much to admire.  Coach K is a class guy who has produced excellent teams for years.  He’s now led his team to four championships, and he’s done so while enabling his players to graduate – a rare combination.
So when did I begin to scorn Duke?  I don’t know.  And why?  I don’t know.  I’ve told myself that I couldn’t pull for a team supported by the smug, self-important, rich kids that fill their stands.  But that description fit me exactly when I was courtside as a freshman at Vandy as they won the S.E.C. championship.  And I can still be pretty smug and self-important when “my” team wins.
For some of my loyalties I can identify roots:  they were the home teams where I grew up, or they had heroic coaches or players.  Thus I’ve always pulled for the Alabama and Texas football teams, the Dallas Cowboys, UNC basketball, and the Atlanta Braves.  But I have villains to match my heroes – the Yankees, Notre Dame, Duke, and the Oakland Raiders.  And when I ask myself why they’re the villains in my sports dramas, I don’t know for sure.
Hmmm.  I want to think about this some more.  I don’t want to take this too seriously.  Sports should simply be fun.  They’re not made to be platforms for meaning of any import.  So I expect that I’ll continue to indulge myself in most and least favorite teams. 
But I do want to take seriously the Lord’s warnings about holding others in contempt.  (See Mt 5:21-26.)  In some recent sermons I’ve touched upon how such contempt is poisoning our political scene these days.  But I think I’d be well advised to ponder on the roots of a similar contempt in my own heart.  Seeking understanding in an arena that doesn’t really matter might enlighten me in some that do.  So the Blue Devils bedevil me in more than just basketball!
Regardless, congrats Coach K!
Keith