Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Worship Recast


An Inkling
Make new friends, and keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold.  The old aphorism about friends new and old is true as well for worship songs. 
I have been lifted in worship for nearly forty years (!) by the music of John Michael Talbot.  Many of his songs, which glistened as silver initially for me, have become as gold through repeated encounters with the Lord carried on their wings.
So I was reminded recently during a morning prayer walk as I sang along with one of his songs, Let Us Adore the Lord.  I had first heard it on vinyl, and had not heard it for some years, until hearing it afresh via iPod.  But quickly it captured my heart up in praise, now aglow for me with a deeper understanding than it was when I first heard it.
I know little of jewelry and such, but understand that the beauty of fine jewelry is often enhanced as it is reset.  So it is with these songs, as they’re reset in another season of life, and illumined by the Lord’s light from new angles.
The artists themselves are finding ways to reset these songs.  This link is to one of John Michael Talbot’s songs that first came out on vinyl, then CD, then iPod, and now in video.  The videography for this piece, The Pleiades and Orion, really sets it off.  Scout around on line, and you’ll find more and more of your golden worship pieces reset to video art, as the lovers of Jesus seek to make his praise ever more glorious.
His, and thus yours,
Keith